Trilogy fight challenger in waiting and dethroned world heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder has taken another jab at the reigning world champion, Tyson Fury.
After activating a clause which allowed him to request a rematch after their first rematch in Las Vegas on February 22, Wilder in anticipation to win back his ‘stolen’ title, has had to put his ambitions on hold as the coronavirus pandemic clutches the world of boxing in a tight vice grip. Fury dethroned Wilder with a dominant victory in seven rounds in February and had been due to defend his crown in Las Vegas on July 18, this year.
But Wilder insists he still does not see his conqueror as the true titleholder. The American told a Premier Boxing Champions podcast on Wednesday that the real ‘Bronze Bomber’ had not shown up for their last fight, and likened his performance on the night to that of a zombie.
It’s not over. In my eyes, I don’t see Fury as the champion. He is not the champion yet, we’ve still got one more fight left… and I’m looking forward to giving the world the best of Deontay Wilder,” said the 34-year-old American. He added: “People that know boxing know that that wasn’t Deontay Wilder that night. I was a zombie that night…
“I wasn’t myself, I felt like a zombie in there.” The pair had previously fought to a draw in December 2018.” Wilder claimed afterwards that the 45-pound costume of full dark armour and helmet that he wore to the ring to honour Black History Month, was to blame for his shoddy display on the night. A third bout between the two heavyweights has been pushed back with a likely date to come in October only.