Argentina and Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi has lashed out at what he terms as ‘fake reports’ recently linking him with a move from Catalonia to Inter Milan. The Blaugrana Sniper took to social media to vehemently rubbish all speculations over his future at the club.
On his own social media, Messi denounced a tweet by TNT Sports, which also seemed to purport that the Argentine had paid bail for the release of former Barca team-mate and Brazilian great, Ronaldinho, from a prison in Paraguay last week. Ronaldinho and his brother, Roberto Assis, were arrested for using fake passports to enter the South American country on March 5.
Messi said: “What they said in this same media about Newell’s [Old Boys] a few weeks ago was also false. Thank goodness that nobody believes them.” The 32-year-old is said to be increasingly frustrated at the volume of misinformation being reported about his future, but has in recent months made it clear that he will stay at the Camp Nou.
Sky Sports News reported in February that Messi intends to stay at the club at least until the end of his current contract in 2021. According to the same report, Barca intends to have a discussion around an extension with the Argentine in the coming months, which may potentially only go full steam ahead at the back of the coronavirus crises which has ravaged Spain.
Messi announced last month that he and his team-mates had agreed to take a 70 per cent pay cut to help secure the club’s financial stability, while also issuing another dig at directors for suggesting the squad had been reluctant to do so.