Brazilian football legend Ronaldinho who was arrested and remanded in a Paraguayan prison just over a month ago over fake passport charges has reportedly be released from jail and into house arrest.
Reports from media in the country said Ronaldinho and his brother paid bail amounting to $1.6 million (about R18.3 million) on Tuesday. The Brazil folk hero, who in 2002 won the World Cup with Brazil, was arrested along with his brother and business manager, Roberto Assis, on March 5. The pair had previously been denied bail but the judge said the investigation carried out in the days since favoured them.
Among the conditions of Ronaldinho’s house arrest, according to reports, he and Roberto are not permitted to leave the country. The judge in the case is said to have relayed his decision to the brothers via video link, granting them permission to move into a hotel in the Paraguayan capital of Asunción while they await their trial. They will, however, be allowed to receive visits at the hotel.
Ronaldinho, who last played professionally in 2015, racked up a glittering career at club level after playing for Barcelona, Paris St Germain, AC Milan in Europe and Brazilian clubs Gremio, Atletico Mineiro, Flamengo and Fluminense. He remains hugely popular among global football fans to this day, having been named Fifa World Player of the Year in 2004 and 2005.