Manchester United have confirmed that star forward Marcus Rashford has been cleared to step up his recovery from a back injury he suffered in a third-round Emirates FA Cup replay win against Wolves in mid-January.
The call comes following recent positive scans on the problem. A full recovery before suspensions in Premier League and Euro 2020 action – which has since been postponed until next year due to the debilitating impact of the global coronavirus pandemic – may not aid a timely return to action for the 22-year-old.
Providing an update on Monday on the club’s top-scorer this season with 22 goals, United said: “The club can confirm that Marcus Rashford has been cleared to step up his rehabilitation programme following encouraging signs on his latest scans. His progress will continue to be monitored by the club’s medical team throughout the current lockdown period.”
The club added that Rashford had been working hard on his rehabilitation with medical staff at the Aon Training Complex, the clubs’ training ground and academy headquarters, before the coronavirus pandemic forced all of the Red Devils players to work individually from home.
Speaking to Sky Sports last week, Rashford said he was feeling 10 times better as he worked towards a full recovery. “For me, now it’s just about getting ready to build back up to training and then playing games for the team,” he said. “I’m in a much better place. I’m much happier than I was about a month ago. So, things are looking positive.”
While unable to train or play football, Rashford has been contributing to the effort against the coronavirus pandemic by helping charity a UK-based charity organisation deliver food to local children and families, who usually rely on free school meals.
It is very important, it is at the top of my to-do list. In our generation, there have been a lot of positive and negative influences. I am just trying to impact the next generation in a positive way,” Rashford said of his endeavours.