Wayne Rooney, whose name is synonymous with English footballing greatness, will once again visit his old home at Old Trafford, this time, when his Derby County side lines up against Manchester United in an FA Cup fifth-round tie on Thursday night.
The 34-year-old has shone in the middle field in the English Football League Championship since his arrival as a player-coach, and will be raring to take on his former employers, having won the competition with the Red Devils in 2016. The Red Devils will, meanwhile, aim to become the FA Cup’s most successful side having won the competition a total of 12 times.
Derby County vs Man United
When: Thursday, March 5, 2020
Kick-off: 21:45 SAT
Where: Pride Park Stadium
- Wayne Rooney will start against his former club Manchester United on Thursday. Tom Lawrence, who is also an ex-United man, is set to feature.
- Derby will be without Tom Huddlestone, Duane Holmes and Krystian Bielik against United.
- Chris Martin will hope to be rewarded with another start after a hat-trick of assists at the weekend.
- Derby may lean on the experience of the back from injury, Curtis Davies, at the back here.
- Anthony Martial recovered from a thigh injury to start in Sunday’s 1-1 draw at Everton.
- Odion Ighalo is expected to make just his second start since joining United in January.
- Fringe players like Jesse Lingard, Andreas Pereira and Diogo Dalot will hope to feature for the Red Devils here.
- With the Manchester derby to come on Sunday, Ole Gunnar Solskjær may not be too concerned about fielding a full-strength side in this one.
- Axel Tuanzebe and Timothy Fosu-Mensah stepped up their returns from long-term injuries for the U23s on Monday.
- Man United have kept a clean sheet in five of their last seven matches in the FA Cup.
- Man United have scored at least two goals in eight of their last 10 matches against Derby in all competitions.
- Man United are undefeated in nine of their last 10 matches against Derby in all competitions.