Cadbury’s Wispa Bites Left A Three-Year-Old Boy With A Severe Dairy Allergy

A 3 year-old boy with a severe dairy allergy was left fighting for his life after he found his mum’s secret stash of chocolate.

Aisha Vaughan has told her of her guilt after little Omar ate the bag of Cadbury’s Wispa Bites she’d hidden under her bed at their home in Wembley, north west London.

The youngster, who is also allergic to nuts, eggs and sesame seeds, immediately began struggling to breathe and had to be put in a medically-induced coma.

Speaking to the Daily Star on Sunday, Mrs Vaughan, said: “Seeing our baby hooked up to a ventilator left me in floods of tears.

“This is my fault, I thought, tormented by the sight of Omar in pain.”

The 34-year-old had gone on a rare outing to the cinema and left Omar at home with his dad Curtis, 38, along with son Isaac and daughter Suraiyah.

But halfway through the film she heard her phone beep and saw a text from her husband saying: “Omar can’t breathe”.

Aisha rushed home to find Curtis administering adrenaline to the little boy with an EpiPen.

When she asked what had happened he said Omar had found the chocolate, which she’d wrapped in a plastic bag.

She said: “I felt sick with guilt. I watched helplessly as he tended to Omar but the EpiPen didn’t seem to be working.”

He gave the boy another shot of adrenaline but he was still wheezing for air and sneezing.

Aisha said: “Omar’s eyes started to swell up. After seven shots of adrenaline we knew he needed to get to the hospital.”

When they got to A&E medics said they’d have to put him in a coma to save his life while he battled the reaction.

After 24 hours of uncertainty, Omar pulled through and was allowed to go home three days later.

The parents, who have been left shaken by the ordeal, have now binned the bag of treats.

They say they’ve always been careful with what they kept in their home as both her sons have extreme allergies and it was the only dairy item in the house.

Aisha said their reactions can be so bad that if food merely touches their skin it can break out in nasty boils and hives.

The couple recently had another little boy, Zayn, in August last year and he is beginning to show early signs that he may have similar allergies to his brothers.

Cows’ milk is the most common source of food allergy in babies and young kids and affects between two and 7.5 per cent of kids under the age of one.